Spicy Macaroni and Cheese with Veggies

Monday, December 17, 2012

The current destination I call home has a decent amount of snow on the ground, and the temps have dropped dramatically in the last week or so. I know, I know. I'm not exactly striving towards setting a happy tone here on this gloomy Monday morning. The ideal weather in my mind lies somewhere between 0% chance of snow, and 0% chance of the temperature falling below 70 degrees. Unfortunately, I live in the upper midwest, and the probability of my 'dream come true' weather is basically zilch. So, when I woke up on a recent morning to find temps in the low 20s and four inches of snow on the ground, I was left depressed about life craving some warm soul-soothing comfort food.


My idea of comfort food generally includes cheese, pasta and the familiarity of a great bowl of macaroni and cheese. While I enjoy the comfort of the occasional quick box of Kraft mac and cheese, my tendencies in the kitchen these days lean more towards the homemade version amped up with a little spice and lots of veggies. It's nice to know that I'm getting something healthy out of my bowl full of cheese and pasta. In my latest creation I opted to bring some heat to combat the cold of the outdoors.


I used freshly grated Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese as the base and topping of this dish. If you prefer a different type of cheese, this recipe can easily be switched to include pepper jack, Swiss, Gouda or any soft or semi-soft cheese.

Recipe adapted from Life as a Strawberry



SPICY MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH VEGGIES | Yield: 6 servings | Total Time: 35 min.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. elbow macaroni
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 1/2 C skim milk
12-13 oz freshly grated cheddar cheese, divided (one brick)
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, plus 1/8 tsp for topping
1/4 tsp paprika, plus 1/8 tsp for topping
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt

Veggies (optional)
1/4 C green onion, chopped
3/4 C green pepper, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
2 roma tomatoes, chopped

NOTE: You can use any vegetables you have on hand. This recipe would also be good with spinach, zucchini, red onion, peas, parsley etc.

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water until al dente. The pasta will continue to cook in the oven and soften up.

In a large oven-proof saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour to make a roux, and cook for 1 minute.

Whisk the milk into the roux a little at a time, making sure to work out all the clumps. Cook over medium heat until the milk has thickened, about 8 minutes.

Remove sauce from heat. Stir in 3/4 of the grated cheddar cheese (approx. 3 C) until cheese is melted. Stir in mustard powder, cayenne, paprika, black pepper and salt until combined.

Add pasta and chopped veggies into sauce, stir to combine. Sprinkle top with 1/8 tsp cayenne, 1/8 tsp paprika, and remaining cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes or until cheese has melted and edges are crispy.


On a separate, but equally important side note...I did find the perfect bottle of wine to pair with this dish while gathering my ingredients at the grocery store. Enter: HandCraft Petite Sirah. Not only is it a full-bodied glass of deliciousness, it also says right on the label that it pairs well with Macaroni & Cheese. Bonus!

What are your comfort food favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you have any suggestions of recipes I should try, fun ideas to do with the kiddo, or a suggested adventure to add to our bucket list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...